The Beginnings, or, A Short Introduction


My name is Helen and I am not an expert at anything, really, but I enjoy trying to get better at a lot of different things.

This is my journey in/ wandering through Mantle of the Expert* with my small class of small children in a small school.

I first came across the MoE approach to teaching nine years ago, before I trained to be a teacher. I remember thinking how interesting it looked, while saying to myself and others 'I'd never do that'. I have a deep-seated fear of drama, people looking at me, being on the spot, and all related and terrifying activities.


In spite of this I often spend time (as teachers of young children do) in a variety of roles and imaginary scenarios with children**, and it works. Five-year-olds are quick to accept that there is a penguin at the door which needs our help, that the squirrel in the tree really did write the letter to them, or that a king in a faraway kingdom can't possibly build a castle without their advice. It's one of the many things I like about teaching small children.

In these trying days of SPaG, tests and age-related-expectations, I want to make sure that my classroom is a place of adventures and thinking and trying things out and purposeful learning. For the children, mainly, but also for me.

All of this is why I have embarked upon a training program to become a teacher of Mantle of the Expert. The course is 18 months long and it's going to be a marvellous adventure.




* If you don't know what this is, I'm not sure why you're here but I'm  glad you are. See https://www.mantleoftheexpert.com/ for more information.

** Usually ensuring a few adults as possible are present

Comments