Developing a team


Previously in Class 1:
The children had met the Notsobig Crocodile who had a problem (see previous posts here and here). He needed some help. However, knowing what they know and having discussed the matter with myself and each other, the children were just not sure whether they could trust him. After all, he had admitted to eating small children in the past. He'd agreed to write a promise to the children. 

The plan:
I decided that the children could write some instructions for 'how to be a trustworthy crocodile'. That way, they would (hopefully) be taken further into the fiction and would begin to trust the crocodile more; he would agree to their terms, and the new expert team would begin to come together. 


The actuality:
Having observed Luke Abbott easing children into fictions, I decided to try the same thing. I invited my TA to join the circle and asked the children to explain to her what had happened on the previous day. They began talking about the Notsobig One and that they couldn't trust him. We went back a few more steps to how we had arrived at that point, and why he wanted us to trust him. At some point, I think when they mentioned the agreement/promise, I stepped into role as the Notsobig One and began to talk to the children as him. This was new for the children; previously I'd been more 'obvious' about changing roles. They seemed to accept it quite well. I explained that I'd had a go at writing an agreement but I just wasn't sure how to be a trustworthy crocodile; could children help? They agreed to. 

Out of role, we discussed what we'd like the crocodile to do. In groups the children wrote down some ideas with myself and my TA supporting them as we went. They came up with some good ideas, and after a break they began to write instructions such as:

"Tuck your tail in so we don't trip over it."
"Try eating plants and berries."
"Forget about when you ate children."
"Try clipping your golden nails."

They were very creative and enjoyed the task. As they were writing I was wondering how I could further draw them into the fiction; while they were definitely interested and fairly motivated, I wanted them to begin to feel concern* for the Notsobig Crocodile and to want to become his protectors. 

I came up with a plan while the children were tidying up. I approached one small boy in role as the Notsobig One and said, "Have you done it? Can I sign it?" He looked at me in a confused sort of way so I continued talking to others around me, "I'm ready - I want you to help me, where do I sign?" and so on. Children began getting their books from the shelf. One child brought me a pen and I began to sign beneath their work with what I can only hope was a convincing crocodile script. The next minute I was on the carpet with books being handed to me, signing them and talking to my new team about how I was so pleased that they had helped me; what sort of things was I signing to? As they told me, I continued to agree and the children felt like they were ready to help me. I explained I needed a team to protect me against harm and to investigate my problem thoroughly. They agreed they would do this. Hopefully, I now have a Crocodile Protection Agency. 

For next time:

  • Find ways to continue to develop concern in the children; build their relationship to the crocodile
  • Introduce the next element of tension to keep them interested and build their concern
  • Use the children's natural interests to do this (building dens for the crocodile, investigating the 'clues' they had found previously). 
Notes:
*  The Continuum of Engagement:   attraction - attention - interest - extrinsic motivation - concern - investment - obsession. I am aiming for concern and investment. 

Comments