Your commission: to find the notsobig crocodile

Previously in Class 1
The children had decided to trust the Notsobig Crocodile and had agreed to help him; to keep him safe, and to find out what had happened to his friend, the Enormous Crocodile.


The plan:
I wanted the children to learn a bit about rainforests, as well as to become further invested in the fiction and concerned for the Notsobig Crocodile. I decided to use a different viewpoint (Adult In Role as a 'jungle ranger') to facilitate this and to add some tension.

It didn't go perfectly:
I started off by discussing the fiction so far: who had we met? what had happened? A few children participated.  I explained that there was more of the story for us to see. The children watched one of my colleagues (a theatre and drama expert who very willingly got involved) in role: she sat on a chair, reading a newspaper aloud.* It outlined the events of the Enormous Crocodile and ended with 'Local people are demanding that all remaining crocodiles be removed from the rainforest.' She then received a phone call (me in role) from the President demanding that the jungle ranger did her job and removed the crocodile.** After this call, the jungle ranger sighed and said, 'I'd better go and catch that crocodile then.'

With a little support the chilren realised that it was the Notsobig One that the jungle ranger was after. I was hoping for a little more concern for them; in hindsight, perhaps the jungle ranger should have been keener to hunt down the crocodile and less doubtful about her actions. However, we discussed the problem, our role as crocodile protectors, and what was about to happen. Eventually, one child said:

"We need to find the crocodile to warn him!"

Being the helpful and proactive children that they are, the other children quickly agreed. We decided we'd need to go to the rainforest to find the crocodile.  My colleague stepped out of role and I gave the children some rainforest information booklets I had prepared. The children were not especially invested at this point, so instead of spending time on the carpet I encouraged them to go and prepare for their expedition. Later, I decided that spending more time looking at the information would have been beneficial. However, at this point, the children became very motivated (but still not concerned for the crocodile). They prepared things such as mosquito spray, face covers, waterproof clothing, bottles of energy drink and, naturally, jet packs and dangerous animal identification sheets. As they did this we supported them by discussing what they would need in the jungle and why (trying to compare the jungle with Whaddon). 

Following this, we gathered together to share what we had done and then went on the expedition. As the children stepped into the woods, my colleague was supporting the drama by talking about what she could see, the dim green light, the sounds of the squawking birds*** and then the children were off. They seemed involved, spotting creatures and stepping over vines. However, I did not feel that they were all invested in finding the crocodile; I think they needed further support; a map of the jungle with swamps marked on it, a sheet outlining usual haunts.... anything that might focus them just a little. However, they were involved in being in the jungle, which had some good learning opportunities. 

Simultaneously, my colleague and I decided that she should return as the jungle ranger. This would add tension**** and therefore refocus and re-energise the work. She came out with a jungle ranger hat on and began looking for the crocodile. The children became concerned; they had to get to the crocodile first. I discussed with a few of them where we might find the crocodile; when they suggested a swamp, we drew one together. 

At this point, I stepped into role as the crocodile and sat in my swamp. I said such things as:

"Oh, hello, why are you here?"
and

"What's going on, why have you all come?"

This was probably the most successful part of the session as far as MoE goes. The children realised quickly what was happening and gathered round, telling me what the problem was. I asked them whether they would help and thanked them profusely for coming all this way to find me. We talked about the problem and the children's ideas for solving it. My favourite one was that they should dress up as crocodiles to distract the jungle ranger. Once again I had problems managing their behaviour and excitement when in role, however I said things like:

"Oh dear, my swamp is usually so peaceful"
and
"She'll hear us! I don't want her to find us."

Thereby using the fiction, rather than my teacher voice, to manage their behaviour.*****
Until, that is, the children glimpsed the jungle ranger again and some of them actually shrieked. With some more hasty (obviously crocodilian) phrases such as, "No, no, no, she'll hear us! Let's sneak away!" I managed to sneak with the children into the classroom where I stopped the story. 

To end the session, I discussed with the children what they wanted to do next. They had some good ideas, including wanting to persaude the jungle ranger that the crocodile 'was better now'. I decided that they should be able to talk to her, so they did. ****** This ended with the jungle ranger saying she'd leave the crocodile alone, as long as the team took responsibilitiy for his behaviour and made sure nothing bad happened. 

Things to think and learn about:

  • Building investment and concern for the crocodile, possibly through further back story
  • Ensuring some more specific curriculum objectives are met
  • Supporting children more during the drama to give it some focus
  • Going with the fiction more freely; for example, perhaps the children's shrieks could have led to the crocodile being captured, thereby teaching them an important lesson.


Notes:

* Dramatic  convention no. 2 possibly (the role framed as a film), with a bit of no.21 (a report of an event)
**  Dramatic convention no. 27 maybe: a conversation overheard
*** I think this is use of the dramatic imagination
**** Tension:  pressures of time
***** I need to try to do this more: using the fiction instead of me being a teacher to try and support the children's behaviour.
****** Dramatic convention no. 1: The role present, giving and accepting responses

As you can see, the dramatic conventions confuse me on a regular basis. 

Comments