Co-constructions, signs and clues



The story so far:

We have a tree in our classroom which was partly damaged by a storm. During that same storm, a squirrel known as Ben went missing; his home was destroyed and he was forced out into the Unknown. The children set up some wildlife cameras to help to find him and produced some footage captured by those cameras. 


The plan:
Having just been on weekend two of my Mantle of the Expert training course I had many, many plans and ideas for the classroom. One of them was to try and use more signs and symbols in the work to a) arouse the children's curiosity, b) move the story on and c) develop their interest and concern for the fiction/characters. 


With this in mind, I set up a 'project board' showing the clues I (in role as a National Parks Officer) had collected about the whereabouts of the squirrel. To do this, I used many of the children's creations (such as stills from the videos they made): I have been trying to co-construct as much of this fiction with them as possible. 

When the children came into the classroom I was in role as the National Parks Officer and spoke to them about the clues on the board and whether they had any further information. The children enjoyed being treated as 'experts' by me and were mostly interested in what was on the board. I probably should have had stills from each of their films (hindsight, etc). I got around to stating that if I were to go any further I'd need some maps of the woods. They were more than willing to help Louise, the NPO officer; if it had been their teacher asking for maps on a sunny Monday afternoon the children may not have been so willing. One of the many advantages/joys of MoE work. 

Maps made, discussions had, curriculum outcomes ticked, etc.

Following this we co-created a representation of the woodland outside - a spontaneous decision and a good one (see previous 'sunny Monday' comment: I really did not want to stay in). Rarely this academic year have I seen all 32 of the children so absorbed in a task (a high level of investment I think). We then stepped into the story, maps in hand, imaginary binoculars around necks, and went to find the squirrel. The children added tension for me with comments such as "Hurry up, it looks stormy!"

At some point during our woodland search (during which children conjured footprints, nibbled pine cones and written clues - from where,  I do not know), I stepped into role as the squirrel. Most children were on board with this and helpful. A few were not; note to self to think through what to do when no extra adults are there. Having said this, considering there were no extra adults the children did respond very well and told me I could live in the King of the Oaks as my home had been destroyed; most children were concerned for the squirrel. 

A good place to end the story for now. 

Thoughts and notes:

  • Time to move on from the squirrel - some of the older boys in particular are not as concerned as they once were. 
  • Perhaps I needed to step out of role a bit more to encourage the children to join in who were hanging back; or did it matter?
  • The co-construction during this Mantle is working well and helping children to see purpose in their work (eg making the wildlife videos and then me using them today as if the National Parks Officer has been looking through them.
  • I think it's time to explore some of the other conventions. there are 33 of them, and I perhaps use 3 regularly. 




Comments