If in doubt: Mantle




This half term I have been given the task of doing some work around World War 1 with my Year 1 and 2 children. I have not touched on this subject before; I usually go for Gruffalos, dragons, Peter Rabbit, rainforests, penguins and polar bears and other such subjects. You can probably see why.

Which is why I found myself one Sunday with blank planning sheets and no idea where to start. The only thing I had decided was that I absolutely would not attempt Mantle of the Expert (which I am not confident with) when teaching WW1 (which I am also not confident with).  I had two lovely visitors already arranged to come to school and talk to children about various aspects of 1914-1918 and I was inclined to steer clear of Mantling for now. I'd be sure to get confused and I didn't feel ready to use Mantle for this. 


What I needed was an introductory session; a way to touch upon WW1 prior to the visitors coming in. I did some research and found some book recommendations (as all teachers know: if in doubt, order a book). The next day The Little Hen and the Great War arrived. It's a lovely book and I decided that I'd do an afternoon based on it. Still not Mantling, though. No, no. 


But then something happened. As I read the book and made felt tip pen notes, Mantle started appearing on the page. Roles, ways in, signs and symbols.  While I'd been ready to steer clear of Mantle, being the inexpert that I am, Mantle presented itself to me as the best way forward.


Some of the tools I found my self just sort of putting onto my plan:

Co-creation:
The children created a 1914 farm outdoors including well (see photo), pig sties, horses and ploughs and a farmhouse with a log fire.
Narrative voice and dramatic imaginationI told parts of the story as needed. At one point the children joined in, making the sounds of war. Once I reminded them that they were making the sounds and not acting it out, this worked well.
Iconic representation: making a farm, looking at photographs, interpreting a conscription poster

Symbolic representation: the children recorded Arthur's thoughts in thinking bubbles to share with the group
Enactive representation: in role as Arthur, freeze framing jobs on the farm, in role as chickens
Adult in role: my colleague represented Arthur; it was only two minutes, but it moved the story on and the children understood that he had gone to war
Children in role: when the children didn't have time to draw a flock of chickens, they became the flock of chickens.  An unexpected pleasure to watch. 



As a way into WW1, it was a success. The children were highly engaged and were thinking deeply. 

Lesson of the day: Mantling is the answer. 



Notes:

The plot of the book in brief: A soldier in France (Arthur) finds a hen that needs caring for. He takes her to the trenches and, despite initially being scoffed at, takes care of her. She thrives and in turn provides eggs for the soldiers.





Comments